CSSMA COVID-19 Reopening Safety Plan
Updated September 2021
Church Street School for Music and Art’s (CSSMA) policies comply with New York State and City
guidelines and with CDC recommendations, and will be updated as information develops.
All policies will apply to CSSMA programs, held at 41 White Street and at any off-site location.
Additional policies may apply when programs are held in off-site locations.
ORGANIZATION-WIDE NEW POLICIES:
- All CSSMA employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19
before teaching or working in-person unless they have a medical
exemption. In the case of a medical exemption, CSSMA requires the
employee to produce a negative COVID test weekly.
- Everyone age 2 years and up will be required to wear a mask while in the
school. Masks will be provided if needed.
- Everyone will be asked to remain at least a 6 foot distance from each
- Everyone will have their temperature checked upon entering the
building. No-one will be admitted with a temperature over 100°F.
- All employees, and renters will be required to sign a COVID-19 safety
- All Program participants will sign a code of conduct agreement acknowledging understanding
of CSSMA’s new COVID-19 procedures, agreeing to abide by them or risk losing the privilege of
visiting our facilities, and agreeing not to visit the facility if experiencing any of the outlined
COVID-19 symptoms (temp over 100° F, cough, chills, shortness of breath, runny nose, new loss
of taste or smell, muscle pain, sore throat, diarrhea or nausea or vomiting), and agreeing to
alert us if they or any member of their household tests positive for COVID-19.
- Only Employees, registered program users and rental clients are allowed in the facility. No
guests, drop-in users or non-pre-registered customers will be permitted into the facility.
– Prospective students must be arranged by appointment
– Vendor deliveries can be left just inside the facility without contact
– If necessary, parent/caregiver limited to one per program participant for children under
age 14 years.
- Front desk has a new acrylic barrier to protect front desk staff while having conversations.
Lobby seating is spaced to easily adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Signage throughout the space has information on safe procedures for staying healthy through
social distancing, wearing masks and cleaning hands.
- New HVAC system filtration and cleaning. Our central air system has been fully serviced and we have installed new hospital grade filters. This system can be used throughout the year to
improve overall air quality throughout the school.
- Windows will also be opened to let in outside air whenever possible.
- No-touch hand sanitizing stations are located in all lobby areas.
- Traffic in stairwell is directed by floor markings to organize movement and allow for social
Daily Cleaning Protocols:
- Sweep, mop, vacuum and clean the space daily or more as needed.
Remove garbage and add new lining to cans daily or more as needed.
- Supply a hand washing stations with soap, and paper towels or hand
sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol – check supplies throughout the day.
- Clean common areas with guest access including bathrooms and
entrances daily and additionally as needed.
- Wipe railings with disinfecting spray prior to classes and between classes
throughout the day.
Additional precautions we will take to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in addition to the standard
- Limit guest count based on state and local capacity guidelines: Ask parents to drop off and pick
up at front door.
- Space out classes and rentals to allow for cleaning between activities.
- Disinfect high touch surfaces and shared amenities such as light switches, door knobs and
railings throughout the day.
- Properly clean pianos and other instruments between use with the appropriate supplies which
will be provided in each classroom and teaching studio.
- Provide a hand sanitizer and disposable masks for guests and employees if needed.
- Capacity will be monitored at the front desk, and lobby areas are configured to adhere to social
- A cleaning log will be kept in the front desk and supervised by Betsy Kerlin, Associate Director to ensure compliance with cleaning regulations.
Prior to opening, CSSMA will provide a clear safety plan to our community through email as well as
making it accessible on our website and posted inside the school. This information will be updated
regularly to reflect state and city guidelines.
- Signage: Social distancing, face mask requirements, and appropriate hand cleaning procedure
guidelines will be posted throughout the school.
- All registered program participants will receive and be asked to sign a COVID-19 code of
conduct agreement prior to attending in-person programs.
- All Employees will receive and be asked to sign a COVID-19 safety plan agreement prior to
attending the facility.
Only scheduled employees, renters and students will be admitted into the facility, and an attendance
log will be kept in the front desk if needed for contact tracing.
Everyone will have their temperature checked upon entering the building. Individuals with
temperature equal to or higher than 100° will not be permitted to enter the facility.
All CSSMA employees are required to take a digital survey, answering the following questions
prior to coming into the school each day:
a) Have you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days;
b) Have you experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days; and/or
c) Have you knowingly been in close or proximate contact in the past 14 days with
anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or who has or had symptoms of COVID-19;
d) Have you traveled internationally or from a state with widespread community
transmission of COVID-19 per the New York State Travel Advisory in the past 14 days?
ANY INDIVIDUAL ANSWERING YES TO ANY OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO ENTER THE FACILTY.
CSSMA has developed protocols for caring for students, faculty or staff who may develop
COVID-19 symptoms while in the school. Staff and Faculty will be trained to follow these
protocols as well as sign a safety agreement prior to commencing in-person work with CSSMA.